Beat the Peak is a voluntary program of Harrison REMC designed to encourage members to become more aware of the energy they use and to reduce their energy usage during peak demand periods.
Currently, 75% of the REMCs operating cost is for the wholesale power we purchase from Hoosier Energy. If we all work together to help reduce the demand during peak times, we can reduce the REMC's power costs and minimize the increase to members on future electric bills.
Peak demand periods occur when the demand for electricity is the highest- weekdays June-August, 3 pm to 8 pm and December-February, 7am to 10 am and 6 pm to 9pm. During these peak periods, the co-op is charged a higher cost from our power supplier, Hoosier Energy. If we can all work together to reduce the demand, we can reduce the REMC's power costs and minimize increases you may receive on your bill.
When everyone co-operates, everyone benefits. That’s the power of co-op membership.
Tips to lower your energy use
- Don’t use too many energy sources at the same time.
- Run the dishwasher, dryer and other appliances during off-peak periods.
- Turn off unnecessary lights and unplug unnecessary appliances.
- Program your thermostat to an energy-efficient summer setting: 80 degrees when you’re at home and need cooling.
- Ensure your air filters are clean.